The Childhood and Adolescence Institute produces annually the report Key Data on Children and Adolescents in Barcelona, which presents and analyses data from the Comprehensive System of Indicators on Children and Adolescents of Barcelona (SIIIAB), one of the fundamental tools of the BCN 0-17 Observatory.
The BCN 0-17 Observatory and the SIIIAB constitute a city tool included in the Focus on Children and Citizens 2017-2020, the aim of which is to improve knowledge on children and adolescents and to articulate this knowledge in order to strengthen local policies that improve their living conditions, equity and opportunities.
This is a comprehensive view of childhood based on six dimensions:
- Sociodemographic context
- Time, relationships, and citizens
- Poverty, exclusion, and inequalities
- Violences, social risk and protection
Key data on children and adolescents in Barcelona in 2019: report, executive summary, focus on gender (documents in Catalan)
Characteristics of the system:
- It monitors over 150 indicators (the number of indicators varies according to data sources and opportunities for new data).
- It situates children at the centre and enables a comprehensive view of their lives.
- It works with data available from the city of Barcelona.
- It is fuelled by data originating from some twenty municipal services and public institutions.
- It optimises and systematises data from around thirty administrative registers and survey sources, from the municipal, autonomous, state, and supra-state spheres alike.
- It combines objective and subjective data.
- It selects indicators based on quality criteria agreed by consensus (validity and reliability).
- It breaks down (when the data permit this) the data by sex, nationality, age group, territory, and socioeconomic context.
- It reconstructs historical series to be able to analyse tendencies.
- It includes indicators that enable the measurement of agreed milestones in city strategies.
- It contributes to open access of data produced by the public administration, to favour new research or the foundation of municipal programmes, projects, or services.
The bringing together of all these data is possible thanks to the collaborative work and expertise of the following Barcelona City Council services and public institutions that, on an annual basis, provide new data and validate the analysis of them.
A. Barcelona City Council Services
Whithin the Municipal Data Office (OMD)
- Dept. of Statistics and Data Dissemination
Within the Area for Social Rights, Global Justice, Feminisms and LGTBI. Department of Social Innovation:
- Dept. of Research and Knowledge
- Dept. of Information Systems Management
- Dept. of Social Action
- Dept. of Youth and Adolescence
- IMSS (Municipal Social Services Institute)
- IMPD (Municipal Institute for People with Disabilities)
- Dept. for Attention and Care for Victims of Sexist Violence
Within the Area for Culture, Education, Science and Community:
- IMEB (Municipal Education Institute)
Within the Area for Agenda 2030, Digital Transition, Sports and Territorial and Metropolitan Coordination:
- IBE (Barcelona Sports Institute)
B. Other public intitutions
- IERMB (Inst. of Regional and Metropolitan Studies of Barcelona)
- IIAB (Inst. Childhood and Adolescence of Barcelona)
- ASPB (Public Health Agency of Barcelona)
- CEB (Education Consortium of Barcelona)
- CSB (Healthcare Consortium of Barcelona)
- CSS (Social Services Consortium of Barcelona)
- Generalitat of Catalonia Department of Education
- Generalitat of Catalonia Department of the Interior
- DGAIA (General Department of Childhood and Adolescence),More information on the SIIIAB
Laia Pineda (since 2019)
Maria Truñó (2016-2019)
Mari Corominas (since 2019)
Laia Pineda (2016-2019)
Mari Corominas (2019)
Kenneth Pitarch (2019)
Adrián Zancajo (2017-2018)
Publications and communication:
Laia Curcoll (2017, 2018, 2019)
Key Data on Children and Adolescents in Barcelona is a project within the BCN 0-17 Observatory
The project on Twitter:
Results of the research in a thread of tweets:
Thread of tweets with data on poverty (in catalan)
To follow news on the project: