Education is a line of work that aims to provide a situation assessment of education in the city of Barcelona both in its different phases (pre-school, compulsory phase and transitions to post-compulsory) and in its different spaces (formal education, education in leisure, extracurricular time) while identifying the main challenges and action proposals for local educational policy.
Education is a fundamental aspect for all people, with impacts not only during childhood and adolescence but throughout the whole life cycle. This is why it is one of the key spaces that we need to attend to. This means focalising the maximum number of efforts and resources possible, in order to maximise educational opportunities inside and outside of school and for all children and teenagers, thus guaranteeing their right to education and maximum development. Numerous research studies have shown how the educational trajectory has a strong impact on employment opportunities, as well as on welfare and health over the course of life.
The studies developed in this line of work include:
- Reports on Educational Opportunities for Children and Teenagers in Barcelona (reports in Catalan): production of two reports (for the years 2016-2017 and 2018-2019) and collaboration with the IERMB from 2020, the point at which the report is extended over the entire life cycle (0 to 99 years). More info in the related project.
- Agreement for Education 2030 in Barcelona: technical support for drawing up the document of basic conditions for the first of the six pillars “Childrearing and education of babies and toddlers (0 to 3 years)”, together with an internal expert from the IMEB.
- Plan for childrearing and education of Barcelona 2021-2024: specific support for the drawing up of the situation assessment of the education of babies and toddlers (0 to 3 years) for this government measure. More info [in catalan].
- Round table on childrearing and education of babies and toddlers in the city: constituent members of this space for accountability, reflection, debate and monitoring of the Plan for Childrearing and Education of Babies and Toddlers in Barcelona 2021-2024.
- Strategy for the educational success of children and young people in Nou Barris: specific support for the drawing up of the situation assessment of the education of children and teenagers in the district.
Programme commissioned by:
Barcelona City Council’s Area of Culture, Education, Science and Community